Temple Beth Or (“House of Light”) was organized by several Snohomish County families in 1985 as the cornerstone of a Reform congregation. We initially met in local churches and rented space for our Religious School.
In 1987, the Conservative Montefiore Congregation (founded as an Orthodox synagogue in 1913) offered to sell their temple in downtown Everett to our fledgling Temple for one dollar. We merged with the Montefiore members, launched a volunteer-based building renovation project, then moved into our refurbished synagogue in 1988.
Since then, we purchased the three adjoining lots for parking and future expansion. New classrooms were also added in outbuildings to accommodate our growing Religious School.
Even though our membership continues to grow, the size of the Congregation remains small enough to allow for personal and meaningful involvement in religious, educational and social activities. We encourage our members to participate in all facets of Temple life.